Friday, August 24, 2012

Favorite

     Admittedly I toss this word around frequently.  I have favorite shoes, a favorite flavor of frozen yogurt, and favorite work out pants.  It drives my husband crazy that I have numerous favorites or "loves" especially when it comes to music.  Music is one of those things that I find  hard to  nail down just one song as my favorite.  I mean come on, that would be like choosing your favorite jewelry or color of nail polish.  Mood dictates favorite and for that reason I have concocted the follow list of my favorites songs.

1. Favorite Zumba song: "Apple Bottom Jeans" by T-Pain because I like the part of the dance where I get to smack my booty!
2. Favorite Feel Good Song: "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats because it is a ridiculous song with a great beat and it makes me smile.  I also remember the video and think the actual safety dance is hysterical!
3. Favorite Song for harmonizing with a friend: "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" by Crosby Stills Nash and Young.  Are you kidding me?  Just listen to it!!!  Kelle Gibbs and two empty bottle of wine...nothing better:)
4. Favorite best friend song: "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin.  My bestie Audrey and I would go see a band (Real Eyes) and they did an amazing cover of this song!  Takes me right back to my 20's in the Bluebird when I hear this one.
5. Favorite song to turn loud and sing at the top of your lungs while in your car: "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down.  I love the beat to this song and the fact that it's fast.  And who doesn't love Superman?
6. Favorite song to sing when playing Sing Star: "Just Like a Pill" by Pink.  It's just a kick ass song and I love to try and mimic her energy.
7. Favorite song I'm embarrassed to admit I love: "Islands in the Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. My cousins and I used to sing this all the time when we were kids.  I can remember giving "concerts" for our parents.  Admit it...it's a great song!
8. Favorite slow song: "Sea of Love" by Robert Plant and the Honeydrippers.  My hubby and I danced to this at our wedding.  It's not too emotional/sappy with great lyrics.  The video is awful but that doesn't count.
9. Favorite song which could be loosely based on a poem: "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure.  First of all this is an amazing song.  I've loved it since I first heard it in high school.  Second of all, I can't prove this, but I believe this song to be based on Edgar Allen Poe's poem "Annabel Lee."  The lyrics and the poem are strikingly similar.  "In this kingdom by the sea...killing and chilling my Annabel Lee...In her tomb by the sounding sea."  Quite similar to the heroine of the song?  I don't know Robert Smith...am I right?
10. Favorite song to dance to when I play Just Dance 3: "Hit me Baby One More Time" by Brittany Spears. If you haven't played this version of JD then you need to.  There are few things as fun in this world than dancing to that song with three of your best buddies!  Right Shauna, Leslie, and Katherine?!
11. Favorite song that reminds me of my brother Jason: "Runnin' Down a Dream" by Tom Petty.  I came home one night to find my brother had thrown a party.  Anyway, when the guitar part plays "Yeah runnin' down a dream (da na na na na na) that never would come to me (da na na na na na)" Jas was playing the guitar on his thigh with such enthusiasm it's ingrained in my memory forever!

     I could probably continue on but don't want to cause boredom.  I've listed enough to get my point across.  I'm not the same person I was in my 20's or my 30's but that doesn't mean those memories still aren't precious.   I love that I can hear a song and go back to a place I haven't visited in a while or think of someone I haven't thought of recently.  I'm not sure about some of the tunes playing today which is why most of mine are from the 80's...I was a Junior in college before I realized "Little Red Corvette" wasn't about a car!  Anyway, I love music and will continue to throw around the word favorite.   It's about having a catalogue of memories and experiences.  Songs are my own little time warp!

No comments:

Post a Comment